Nuffnang

10/30/2007

Half Moon Crazy












HOW TO ENSNARE RICH, OOZING CHOCOLATE IN A BIBINGKA






In a pan, cook golden bibingka batter and wait till it starts to pulsate and beat, until bubbles are awakened and start dancing on its surface.



With lightning fast speed, carve the solidified batter out of the pan and plop it on a chopping board. Grate some cheese into the hollow to form a soft cushion which immediately after, scoops of chocolate pellets shall then depress.










Take a deep breath and admire the resulting mound of sin in progress.






With a final flurry of inspiration, indulge further with a web of sweet condensed milk.

Flip the other half of the bibingka over to complete the Half Moon. Cut into six parts for easy handling.









The result: An ingenious dessert that's quite heavy and amazingly good. The chocolate pellets melt and meld with the the cheese and condensed milk resulting in a flavor that is bitter and sweet with an undertone of saltiness. Sensations that are conveyed to the mouth via the soft and moist bibingka followed by a rich, warm ooze. An Indonesian specialty I believe, called Martabak.





Liv and I usually find ourselves eating this in the car, on the way home after a long, busy but fun day together. A fitting finale to cap another blessed moment in our married life. Another beautiful day spent until it yields itself to an equally beautiful evening under the shining half moon.







The Half Moon stall we frequent is at SM The Block beside the escalators on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Unfortunately, this is the only Half Moon branch I know of. Half Moon/Martabak is also served (where else) in Martabak Indonesian resto at the top floor of The Block. I like them both but for take out dessert, the Half Moon is quicker and more accessible (I'd love to talk about the other authentic Indonesian offerings in Martabak but I'll save that for another post).

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

i always see that bibingcrepe at the Block but have yet to try it. seems nice. i go, however, for frugal food finds, one of them is malabon's bibingka

docemdy said...

Mukhang masarap. Sana may ibang branches. Haven't tried it though but your pictures look good.

I like Bibingkinitan too.

Gita Asuncion said...

oh my, the only bibingka i know is the Ferino's and my favorite cheap find in a weekend Market in Taguig. but this halfmoon looks really good...may twist. sayang, ang layo din from us. wala bang branches sa south?

Ruy said...

Tutubi: I know about Dolor's in Malabon!=) Kaso that's sapin-sapin and kakanin.
I don't know where to get the Malabon bibingka.=(

Unknown said...

gosh..bibingcrepe? chocolate? how much more yummy could that get!

Ruy said...

em: Hi! Glad to have you drop by.
The half moon's really good and they have flavors other than what we showed in the post.
I've never tried bibingkinitan. I'll watch out for that.=)

Ruy said...

gita:I like ferino's too. Yup, this bibingka has a helluva twist. I'm also pretty positive with my gut feel that there's are other branches out there. I'll let you know if I learn of any in that area.=)

Ruy said...

surfergirl: Hi Jean! I think the only way it can get yummier is if they start using ghirardelli chocolate pellets (if there's such a thing). Then I'd die with a happy smile.

Jen said...

oh wow ruy, this looks amazing. hubby is a die-hard fan of bibingka, if i must say so myself (i could live without it) so i'm positive he will drool when he sees these pics. thanks for sharing!

ps. i'm salivating and i don't even crave bibingka!

Olivia said...

Jen it's weird cause even if this is called a Bibingka it doesn't taste much like a typical bibingka. I am still confused as to why it's called a Bibingcrepe. I'm sure you will drool. It's seriously finger-licking good

Ruy said...

Yup Jen its really yummy. You can have it with peanut butter too and other things that are unhealthy but delicious. =)

 gmirage said...

hmmmm, buti na lang napadpad ako dito sa blog mo, meron na naman akong idadagdag sa list ko ng 'what to eat' lol. Thanks a lot! greetings from Vienna!

Ruy said...

g_mirage: We're happy you found us too!=) kaso wala yata sa Vienna ng mga food places na na-cover namin. You need to come home first. =)

 gmirage said...

Yes, I am listing all the good food from reading and recommendations, I will try them when I come home, one thing I miss about pinas...Food! Glorious Food! Kakaiba at "flavourful" =) Thanks uli!

Jen Tan said...

hey ruy..i used to be addicted to this when it first opend in tomas morato! have you tried the bibin-crisp? dpn't know if they sell that still, pero i used to request this...puro crusty part lang wala yun pinka parang mamon-ish inside! hahhaha pero i think i've had my life's share of bibincrepes already...tagal nako d kumakain nyan!hahaha =)

Ruy said...

Aaaahhh! We have a bibingcrepe expert in the house!!! =) Bibin-crisp sounds interesting. I love toasted stuff so I'll watch out for that.
It would be nice if you can tell me where in Tomas Morato I can find it.=)

Jen Tan said...

ruy...it's sa tapat of Alex III in Morato and adjacent to an auto house. they opened a sister resto beside it too called I Have Two Eggs...note lang: my experience at I have 2 eggs wasn't that nice (but that is a different story!)hahaha

try to ask for it---sa Morato branch they would surely remember it...

I love toasted stuff too =)

Didi said...

Uy! Fellow QC person! I prefer the Bibingcrisp! The Bibingcrepe takes so long to cook kasi!

Ruy, where can I email you re: price of Fraser Apartments? Email me nalang.

Ruy said...

Jen: You do know that "I have two eggs" doesn't sound right for a resto. LOL.
I would love to hear about your experience there however. =)

Ruy said...

Jen: Oh and thanks for the directions. I know that area. Near what used to be Aresi's right?=)

Ruy said...

Candishhh:Thanks for visiting our place! Will do.
You can't wait to wait for your bibingcrepe to cook? Thats so funny.=)

Ruy said...

Candishhh:I meant "you can't wait for your bibingcrepe to cook?"
Sorry na-OC lang. =)

Jen Tan said...

Yes ruy..near that =) You're very much welcome...btw...I linked you up ah...sorry nagawa ko na before ako naka-paalam with you guys..hope it's ok =) ok lang ba?

Ruy said...

Absolutely Jen!=) Thank you. We'll link you up too.

Jen Tan said...

ruy...cool!thanks a bunch! =)

Ruy said...

You're welcome! Ikaw pa.=)

Jen Tan said...

ngayon ko lang nabasa..yun reply mo on I have 2 eggs!!! hehehe siguro they want it to sound like heaven and eggs? but my friend and I ordered the parang seafood something served with rice and the adobo rice. yun seafood rice was NASTY--but that I mean "malansa: yun seafod (may calamares and some shrimps ata)..naku...yucky ah..super turn off kame..first time pa naman...make or break ang FIRST meeting d ba?;P hehehe pero mura naman sha...I just don't know how the food is now...it was my first and last so far =)

grumpyurbanslacker said...

yup, bibingcrisp is still offered...i think Half-Moon also has a branch in Baguio, somewhere behind the City Hall/Burnham Park area...

re I have 2 eggs, parang no one eats there, it's always empty! :D

Ruy said...

grumpyurbanslacker: I can imagine eating Half Moon in the cold Baguio weather. Comfort.
Thanks for dropping by. =)

Nuffnang

Holler


Disclosure Agreement

Home & Living - Top Blogs Philippines